Connect with RIPE 58 : Facebook Twitter dopplr del.icio.us RSS linkedin iCal agenda
The session commenced as follows at 9 a.m.:

CHAIR: The agenda here that we are going to be following for this morning's session is up here on the screen. But before we start off with our first speaker, I actually wanted to hand the microphone over to James because I think some you have seen that our network has been experiencing a few problems. He can give us an update on that.

James: We made a few changes at this RIPE meeting. We moved the operations room upstairs to a much nicer room, but unfortunately the patch there is longer than we are used to and we are seeing errors on the link. We have moved traffic off that link, our primary router is now downstairs in the patch room and the DNS resolvers are now back in the NCC office. So hopefully performance there will be better.

V6 users would have noticed some problems yesterday. There was some change interactions between router advertisements and VRRP, which we have also hopefully fixed. We have also replaced and reconfigured the wireless access points in this room overnight. Hopefully the network here is better. We will continue to monitor performance. And if you do encounter any further problems, please let us know. The technical team are wearing blue badges. You can also send e-mail to objects mtg@ripe.net. Use the help room. Please include as much specific detail as possible in your report, because without specifics there is very little we can do to help. Thank you.

CHAIR: Thanks for that James. Okay. With that, I will ask our first speaker of the today, which is Leo Vegoda from IANA to give us an update.

Leo Vegoda: Hello everyone, I have just good five slides, I'll be very quick, so that I don't delay you. Global policy, this is the one that everyone agreed about the last/8s. It was ratified by the ICANN board on the 6th March and we have implemented the element that can be implemented while we still have other /8s left. There have been five /78 that is that was selected and put away and will be taken out again when we get there.

IETF work: We have been writing or updating some RFCs with some Internet drafts. RFC 3330 BI S is a document to describe a special use IPv4 prefixes. It was called, we have been asked to make some more changes. It will be last called again, this time as a BCP. So hopefully that will be a useful document. Draft IANA special IPv4 registry is one that sets aside a /24 for IETF protocol assignments. That will be documented as well in draft IANA RFC 3330 BIS and hope /TPHRAOEL that will be last called fairly soon. And draft IETF M /TKOEPBD D RFC 3171 BIS is about assignments made for multicast. It's basically a sort of a procedure document. Once that's been completed, work will begin on a policy document for the policy under which these assignments are made. (BIS is BIS)

New views of registry data. Basically we have got a number of registries where we have got one address space which is sub divided into various different registries and it can be confusing for people when they try and work out whether an address is assigned and whether it's reserved or special or whatever. For instance, there are five IPv6 registries. The whole space, the Unicast, the multicast, the Anycast and so on and it gets a little bit complicated, so what we have done is we have worked on using our new wonderful XML stuff to /TOEFL new views and what you have got here is a new combined view of the IPv6 registries. The IPv6 space. On the left, you can see an example where we go and show you what's unallocated. You can see that there is little pluses that you can click and it expands things. So if we were to click the /PWHRUS down at the bottom, we would be expanding the multicast space. This isn't quite finished but it will be finished soon. It will be up on website. It's sufficiently general risk that we could rinse use this for the IPv4 registries as well to we could go and show a unified view of the whole IPv4 space including multicast and the /24 that's in draft IANA special IPv4 registry and so on. So, hopefully, a useful tool in development coming soon.

Finally, automating and securing reverse DNS. We have been working with the RIRs on this. They have basically been helping us develop the requirements and we have been working on the code. You may be familiar with Terry manned err son who used to be with APNIC, he has been developing the code. We have done the ^ alpha test. People from quite happy in of a a)with the general concept. Asked for a few changes. We hoped to have /TKAOET acode out for the IETF week at the end of July. We are very grateful to the RIRs because we couldn't do it without them. So, that's my last slide. (Grateful) thank you. Paul.


CHAIR: Any questions?

AUDIENCE SPEAKER: Daniel: Paul, don't kill me, all this XML stuff is very nice and my question shouldn't come as a surprise to you because we have discuss this had before. By the way my name is Daniel Karrenberg, I am with the RIPE NCC. There is a considerable interest not only from the RIPE NCC but also from others for historical data, especially about IPv4 allocations, ASN locations and things like that. When is the IANA going to publish all the history from the dark ages onwards? We are doing lots of analysis based on our own date I but we would really like also to see the IANA history. The XML stuff of the present is quite nice but the time series would be very appreciated.

SPEAKER: I agree, it would be a great thing to do. At the moment, we don't have access to all that data. Some of the data from before ICANN is on paper and not in our custody. So we can't publish that. Some of the historical data is on paper and in our custody and we could go and type that out into an electronic format. I don't know how difficult that would be. It's something that we could I guess discuss off line.

AUDIENCE SPEAKER: Let me put put on the record, if it's stuff you have and you need transcribed, I am quite sure the RIPE NCC will find resources to help you do that, because this publishing of stuff is very valuable. So if it's a resource question, that can be addressed. I am a little bit -- I don't understand when you say it's not in your custody, how we could help you to get it into your custody, because I think this is sort of -- it is essentially public information, it was published at one point. So, I am a little bit surprised that someone was not ICANN would sit on the stage and not make it available to the Internet community. If we need to do a little bit of a shame campaign or of a convincing campaign, I think we should be doing that and that's why I am standing here and discussing this in public in public rather than in private like we have done over the past year or two. I think this needs to be done. So take this as an offer of help. It's -- I think when as we get near the IPv4 ex exhaustion, the need to document the history becomes big are and bigger.

SPEAKER: Absolutely. This is something I'll take back home.


CHAIR: Thanks very much Leo. Okay. Next up we have got, we will start with the presentations from the RIRs. If I can ask earnest from AfriNIC to come up and give us an update.

SPEAKER: Good morning. My name is Ernest and I have been given five minutes to take you through what is happening at AfriNIC. So I'll try to stick within that time.

A quick look at the membership. We started off back in 2005 with about 197 members. As at the end of the first quarter of 2009 we had about 511 members. So that figure has more than doubled since we started.

IPv6: Same story. We started off with about two allocations back in 2005 and we are looking at close to 60 as at the beginning of last quarter.

V4 has also been growing steadily. We have just close to half of, close to one-and-a-half/8s right now that are allocated in the region. As you can see part of the graph in red, the growth in v4 allocation of quite steep from the beginning.

Right now we have 11 full sometime half members and 2 part-time and we are hiring, we are looking for a training manager who will also be in charge of policy. We are looking for a database manager who will also be able to write software. A CTO an a business area manager who would also be the Chief Financial Officer.

All applications are right now closed actually. We are tar getting to have at least 18 people by the end of 2009. And any other information about carries can be found on that link.

There are a few projects going on. One of them is the Anycast root server project. This is a rife to increase the number of root server mirrors in the region. And they are going to be located at well established IXPs. Then of course there is the IPv6 virtual lab which was set up in mar /SHEURB use. Also equipment was donated /TKEU Cisco systems. The main purpose was to increase hands-on experience of IPv6 in the region, and the community can reserve this lab for the duration of the experiment or exercise that they need it for. And the other main purpose of the lab of course is to offer hands-on experience during IPv6 workshops in the region.

On the policy /SAOEURBGSD we have three policies that are currently being discussed an these are going to be presented at the next AfriNIC in meeting in Cairo in two weeks time.

Training, we have so far been in 29 locations in the continent. And we are planning for ten more. So it has been a massive training drive, mainly on IPv6 and of course DNS is what we are planning to add to our training.events. Of course we are continually planning to, working out to improve on our training tools and right now we are writing new training material in line with the virtual lab that has been set up. We have plan to reach at least every African location by the end of 2010.

On the meeting side, our next meeting is in two weeks time in Cairo and that will be AfriNIC 10 and AfriNIC 11 is, we have not yet decided the location. We have sent out a call for proposals of countries that are willing to have it.

The spreading of the Internet governance forum, for regulators the venue is to be determined. We have also be is he AGV in Cairo

We have been /STPHROFD /TPH* a few outreach activities. We have sign and MoU with the association of African universities to support research initiatives on Internet deployment activities.

We are also having fellowships for at least five people from the couldn't tent to attend AfriNIC meetings and we also have course partners with the six deployed consortium in improving IPv6 awareness and deployment on the continent.

Way forward: We are looking at further developing and expanding our training programme and of course that is mainly to increase awareness on IPv6. And we are also trying to increase participation from the community towards a policy development process.

On the staff aspect, because the staff is increasing, we are also looking at getting a new office location for -- for those /SR-FB been to Mauritius, our office office /R-S small and /HRAOG /TEG plans that we have to increase the staff to 18 by the end of the year -- we are looking for a new office location and we have already identified something in Mauritius, which would hold about 50. And on the other side, we are also of course increasing participation in the 6 deploy and 6 challenge initiatives. We are trying to redesign our websites and many other things that we are trying to to do to increase our member services and internal business processes.

Of course I'd like to invite you all to our meeting in Cairo which will be in two weeks time. That will be heard back-to-back with AFNIC, you are all welcome. Thank you. Any questions?


CHAIR: Thanks very much.

Next up we have Guangliang pan from APNIC. Speak seek /TKWAOD /HORPBG everyone, high name is Guangliang APNIC resource service manager. I would like to give you a quick update from the APNIC region.

I will mention a few things in the next five minutes. I won't go into details as I believe you can always find the details on line.

First, let's look at the policy development. There was two policy proposal which the consensus APNIC 27 in February. The interesting one is that IPv4 transfer policy. These are the points we discussed and which concerns us. According to the APNIC policy development procedure, it is not a formal policy at this stage.

I would like to mention APNIC just received a two /8 from IANA. I would appreciate if you can check your routing features.

In earlier this year, KPMG has conducted individual survey for APNIC. Part of the survey is regarding to the IPv6. It's having to know what it shows. About 40 percent of the organisation already for IPv6. The best thing is there are still more than 60 percent of the organisations that are not ready yet.

APNIC community believe the Government support is very important to the IPv6 development.

We also receive a very strong message from our members. APNIC should provide training, education and support to the IPv6 development.

We have a pointed me with a as IPv6 programme manager to coordinate and promote IPv6 activity in our region. We are very active to participate in the key IPv6 UN in our region.

We also have some research and development activities that are going on at APNIC. The RIPE NCC on the TTM project. We also participated in the DITL project.

APNIC is going to have a new website. I would like to give you a quick review and show you how the new website will look like.

In the new website, you can easy to find things, news, events, and people.

We also have a low bandwidth version for those people who have poor Internet connections.

Finally, I would like to invite you to the next APNIC meeting which will be held in Beijing in August. Welcome to Beijing and I hope to see you all there. Thank you.


CHAIR: Thanks very much Guangliang. Okay. Next up we have got Leslie Nobile from ARIN.

SPEAKER: /PHEU everyone with, Leslie Nobile with ARIN.

So, I am just going to talk about a couple of things of ARIN's current efforts. We sent out an announcement to the CO E us a all of all organisations registered in the ARIN /AOEPBLG on and is basically said IPv4 address space is going to be deleted very soon. Organisations should start to think about adopting IPv6 and in the future, we are going to be putting in a new process that requires all organisations to have an officer of their company verify the validity of the date I they are submit to go us when they request IPv4 addresses. This is going to begin on May 18.

So, we sent this letter to about 17 thousand organisations already, to the CEOs of the organisation, so they are aware of what's happening. Then we sent e-mails to all of the tech and admin that are registered in the admin /TAEUT abase, because they are the ones that are going to be dealing with it and this was about another 25 thousand e-mails to these POCs and that is to those with direct v4 allocations and assignments.

We are working with who is clean up project. They want /TKHRAOEPB data. They want to know who has what resources. We are trying to be proactive and we are starting with this phase one. /W-RBGing on directionalcations and assignments with v4, six autonomous numbers, it includes legacy space and we are in the process of sending about 33 thousand e-mails to organisations, 2,000 a week, we are kind of staggering it and we estimate that it will take us four months to complete the project. And we have phase 2 which would be other re/SAOEUPLTS that are registered and there is over 400 thousand of those. We don't have a plan at this point as to how to proceed with that. Because it's overwhelming numbers. But so far we are getting a good response, about a 5 to 10 percent return rate. People are reacting pretty well to this clean up.

We are doing some address space revocation as part of a billing clean up and we are actually doing pretty well over the past four years we have revoked 81.6 /16s worth of /SPAEUFPLTS and that is space that we hold on to for one year so it clears the filters and then we recycle and re-issue this space to customers.

Same with ASNs. We are getting some returned and we are revoking a lot of them. We have a maintenance fee and people just don't pay it so we are reclaiming and revoking ASNs and people don't seem to miss them. We have got about 4 thousand of those and we are recycling those as well. We hold them for a year and then we recycle and issue back to the customer base.

Recent policy discussions I won't go into because fill ease will be doing that later today. These were the seven discussed at our meeting and the one we will be moving forward is directly services which is Whois clean up.

Legacy RSA stats. We create add legacy registration services agreement for people in the ARIN region who have legacy pace to bring hem in the RIR system and we are getting actual' a pretty decent response it, created over a year ago, we have had 700 requests, almost 300 people have signed the legacy RSA and we are still working on another 326 that are pending at this point. And basically, it brings them into the system and it protects them from future policy changes. If policies come up that talk about legacy space, they will be protected if they sign this RSA. But it is not mandatory. It's completely voluntary.

And we have created an ARIN Government Working Group. This is modelled after the RIPE Cooperation Working Group, bobby flame from the FBI was quite inspired when he saw what you were doing over here, so he is rebel Kating that in the ARIN region. We had the first meeting in February. There was 18 Government organisations represented and of course private /public sector cooperation, discusses on how governments can and should get involved with ARIN and the RIR systems. The next steps are to invite other Government agencies into the group and private industry. Planning future meetings. Adopting a charter and coordinating with the other RIR Working Groups.

And that's all I have. Any questions?

CHAIR: Questions for Leslie. Daniel.

AUDIENCE SPEAKER: I think there is some interesting stuff mere. Thank you Leslie. It's very encouraging to see that there is work being done on the legacy space and that kind of stuff because we face the same problems here.

I have two questions, short ones:

First, these letters you send out to the CEOs, how do you /TPAOEUPBLD the CEOs?

SPEAKER: Between our database and done in brad street. That's how that's how we found them.

AUDIENCE SPEAKER: I just wished we had something like this for our service region that would cover T

The other question was on your slide about the column tree service agreement, there were 48 not required. Can you explain what not required means?

SPEAKER: Those were people who might be POCs on these records, but the companies are gone (POCs) and so they /ARPBT actually the owners or the registrants of the space or they were reassignments and they didn't really have the opportunity to assign.


CHAIR: We have one more question.

AUDIENCE SPEAKER: In the same, regarding the same part of your presentation, you said that anyone having or using legacy address space and signing this agreement with ARIN, would be protected against what and how, because my feeling would be that community decisions about management, about policy to manage the IP resources should not get ex /-PLGSs by whatever.

SPEAKER: Well, bringing them into the fold and having them sign this agreement that has certain terms and conditions meaning you know similar to what other ARIN registrants sign, means that if there is a policy that came forward that said go after all the legacy space and if it's not being used pull it out of the database. If they have signed the legacy RSA, they will not be subject to a policy such as that. That's really what the protection factor is. It's future policy changes that could affect legacy space that's sitting out there. Does that make sense?

AUDIENCE SPEAKER: To some degree, yes. Okay. Thank you.

CHAIR: Thanks very much Leslie. Now, if I can ask my colleague, Ricardo Patara to come up to give us an update for LACNIC. (POC)

SPEAKER: Good morning, I am the technical manager for LACNIC and we are responsible for some technical aspects of LACNIC and also the registration service department.

I will give you some brief updates about some activities of LACNIC. For the first slide, we normally present some information about LACNIC numbers, number of locations, number of members. But shortly just to say that we are /TKPWRAOEG in number of allocations, in number of members. Nowadays we have about 900 members. We also increasing number of staff and also the budget, which is nice so we can support these activities.

Very shortly, also about the policy development, we will have some updates about the policy proposal being discussed in LACNIC, but just to give you some highlights about what is going on. We have this new process for our policy development. It was approved last year, we are using it now. We have new thing, it's called expedite process, the idea is you have the opportunity to approve policies before the open forum, so policy can be discuss and approved in the mailing list. We have now the figure of a co-chair, we have two co-chairs, one is from Mexico and one from Caribbean region.

Some other activities I would like to highlight. I'd like to mention to you, we have this project called FRIDA. The main idea so give funds to a lot of organisations to do research into the ICT /AR and just so mention we have a meeting with this researchers, with stakeholders for this project. The main idea was to present some projects that received funds, but also to help them, how to get funds from this project, how to create the proposal and to get funds.

We also create this contest for journalists. The idea is you have to receive some proposals, some articles about Internet governance, it was at the first experience, a very nice experience. We have so far 40 participants and we will be releasing the winner in a text very soon.

Some public affairs we would like to highlight you. In following RIPE, we also are forming a Government Working Group. The idea is also to be closer to the Government, explaining how the RIR system, to have them working together with us. The first meeting will be in Panama during our meeting next couple of weeks from now. We also are being very active in the Government in their forums there are some things in the region /W-R promoting, presenting some papers, presenting some articles there. And following our very successful activity we had last year, we will also have an IGF preparation meeting this year, it will be in Rio De Janeiro in Brazil in August. It was /SAUBG /SESful activity last year. We will repeat this in August.

Another thing that I would like to highlight is some engineering projects. We have these extension for the EPP is interface to allow our members, our Internet service providers to submit information to assist in using another interface, because nowadays they have to go to our website and pride this information to use website. (Provide) the idea is to allow them information, submit information using other tools and this is the idea with EPP. The first phase will allow ISPs to submit information. The idea is you have something ready by May -- I mean by the end of this month. And the second phase is to allow NIRs, to submit their information, the information for their members to our system, also using the EPP (NIRs).

And as the other RIRs, we are also involved in the RPKI, the recourse public key infrastructure. We have been involved in discussions and discussions in the IETF, but we are now approaching the last phase. We are starting -- we have started already developing a system, this is a better system. The idea is you have something ready by the end of this year allowing members to issue a certificate and also sign objects using a web interface.

And we are using to create a taskforce as RIPE also did. We think it's a nice idea to have the ISP, the community involved in it.

Some other meetings. We have been very active in IPv6, working with some important organisations in our region, but also we have been involved in a European Commission project six deploy. We have been working creating awareness about RIR system and support organisations events.

And finally, invite you all to our next meeting, it will be in Panama city, a very exciting place but also a very exciting meeting. We have a lot of, not only the policy forum, but also network security, Internet exchange points meetings, and also tutorials for IPv6, routing, it's becoming a very exciting event and you are all invited to go there.

And that's it. Thank you.


CHAIR: Thanks very much Ricardo. Okay. That concludes the RIR updates. Thanks very much for those. Next up we have an ASO AC update which will be given by Dave Wilson, who was on the AS A O C for the RIPE region.

SPEAKER: Dave Wilson: Thanks Paul. My name is Dave Wilson. And indeed I am on the AS A O C for the Rye region with these two other people whose slide you can't see yet. It's Hans pet err Holland which will freed lobe err.

The address supporting organisation Address Council is, I will just talk over this until the slides appear. We operate within the framework of an ICANN supporting organisation. The object here is that within the global framework that ICANN obviously doesn't need forth RIRs to interact with it in the sense of a supporting organisation. The RIR decision making process has been well formed /TPORP many years, so the way we have made this work is the RIRs elect a Council, three members from each region towards its address supporting organisation. There is an MEU in place. Each region, five region elects three members and puts them forward to the Address Council.

We are under time pressure here. In particular what we do is to address the ICANN board on global policy issues. This happened in quite a concrete fashion quite recently because specifically for global policies, not the address policies coming up today here, but global policies that come up in the region that are in/TAOEPBDed to affect all five regions. They have to go to the ICANN Board for ratification. This happened very recently with a policy you are probably familiar with, which is the policy for the allocation of the last five /8s from the IANA free pool. Quite an important poll /SAO see. How are job, that we were elected to do is to track this policy as it was going through the policy development process in every region, and assert to the ICANN Board that the procedure was properly followed.

We were happy to do that and the ICANN Board recently ratified that.

Another job that we do is the appointment of two members to ICANN's board of directors. It's seats 9 around 10 of the board of directors. We also select somebody for the ICANN NomCom.

Particularly for selecting members for the ICANN Board of directors, seat 9 was occupied by Dave Wodelet and his term ends, I believe it ends today actually with the new person to take up the position tomorrow. And I am happy to say that we appointed from a number of very strong candidates, Ray Plzak was elected to fill seat 9. I believe he takes up that appointment tomorrow. We were working as you see there on the slide, within a fairly complex framework on a tight enough schedule. One thing that our procedures didn't foresee was the end of term's now for ICANN directors. It happens as such a time and in order to fulfil the procedures we have to begin the process the previous year. That's important because it means that the composition of the Address Council changes over the end and beginning of the next year.

We will be reviewing those procedures to try and improve them for 2010.

Very quick overview of the process for electing a board member. It begins as I said the previous year with the call for nominations. There is tomorrow assessment of eligibility and then interviews take place after information has been collected on each one of them. There is a public comment period and we have discussions within the Address Council based on the comments we have received and the answers to the entries themselves. Then there is a short period where we each vote and I am happy to say that Ray was elected with a very substantial majority.

What we have to do for the rest of the year now: We will continue of course to track global policy proposals and there are some of those on the table. There will be a face-to-face meeting of close to /AUFLT Address Council at the end of this month at the next LACNIC meeting in Panama, and again, we begin the process for two out of every three years, to initiate a process to elect an ICANN Board member and also we have to appoint a member of to ICANN's NomCom for 2010 and of course the AC itself will maintain a presence at the ICANN meetings.

Very quickly, and I know we are under time pressure, but I do want to thank the NRO, in particular the executive committee for providing the funding that makes things work. And of course their ongoing support and guidance in doing so. And also the secretariat which is a function that rotates through each the regional registries, once per year. They give quite a lot of congoing support and in I can they did a very good job at making the E voting system we used, getting it installed, making it work flawlessly very quickly and it was the RIPE NCC had a that is been providing that for 2009. So I'd very much like to thank you them.

And I'd be delighted to answer any questions.

CHAIR: Thanks Dave.


CHAIR: The last presentation in this slot is an update of the NRO statistics from Flor deMaria. (Address is address) (Address Policy is address policy)

CHAIR: One second, we have a little bit of a problem loading this presentation, so if we can just give Flor a minute.

SPEAKER: Flor: Sorry for this, this is my first time to be presenting anything, I am really happy to be standing in front of so many people but it's the first time, so please bear with me. Thank you.

My name is Flor, and I am from the RIPE NCC. I will be presenting the Internet stats.

This is my first slide. That's IPv4 address space. We have, the slide shows the current state of the IPv4 pool. We have 91 in central registry. 35 not available as they are in use by the IETF. 98 have been allocated to RIRs, so you can see here below, and we have 32 left with the IANA.

This is IPv4 address space issued. RIR to customers in terms of /8s by year. You can see a steady growth already for ARIN, APNIC and the RIPE NCC for the first quarter of '09.

The next one gives the same information, but this is a cumulative for 1999 to March 1999. And then we move to ASN. This slide will show you how many ASN we each RIR has assigned by year. Again, RIPE NCC leading there with over the 500 in the first quarter of this year already.

I have another one with ASN information. And again this is from January 1999 to March 2009.

I will quickly move on to IPv6. This slide shows how much has been allocated to RIRs. /0 there on your right, and a /3 is a /HROEGey Unicast out of this each RIR has received one /12 as per the global policy back in October 2006.

And the circle at the bottom, that shows /23 originally allocated to the RIRs by the IANA.

The next one is IPv6 allocations RIR to LIRs and ISPs. It gives the information by year. As you can see the RIPE NCC has issued more IPv6 than other regions in the past year, but also this year already in quarter 1.

And then my last slide, this will show you the circle on your right shows you how many allocations have been made by each RIR. And the one on the left shows you the, how much portal space has been allocated to each RIR in terms of a /32s.

If you want to get this information again, you can find it using these links. And that was it. Thank you.


CHAIR: Thanks very much Flor. And I apologise for that glitch in loading this presentation.

I just wanted to thank everyone again for presenting. That's the end of this session and we will now hand this over to Gert and Sander from the Address Policy Working Group and they will start: